How to save water!

Ever wondered just how much water planet earth has? The answer might seem like a lot, but break it down and we should all be more than just a little worried about this matter and put more effort into saving water. Currently, the earth has about 326 million trillion gallons of water on this planet.  Seems like a lot, right? Roughly 98% of that water is ocean water and not drinkable because of the high salt content. That leaves as with only 2% fresh water, but 1.16% of all fresh water on earth is locked up in glaciers and ice. Another 0.36% is found in deep, unreachable underground resources, which makes it inaccessible. That leaves us with just about 0.036% of the planets total water supply suitable for human consumption.

Therefore, we should consider the following tips:

  1. When doing the dishes, don’t rinse the soapy plates with running water. Fill both sinks with water and wash in one, rinse in the other.
  2. Set sprinklers so just your lawn get watered and no water gets wasted by spraying against a wall or sidewalk.
  3. By only running your washing machine and dishwasher when they are full, you can save water, up to 3786 liters per month.
  4. Remember your water bill is a good indication of how water is used. If you suddenly have a unlikely high usage, this could indicate a leak. Contact a reliable 24 hour plumber to inspect the plumbing.
  5. Run a bowl of water and wash your fruit and vegetables in the bowl instead of rinsing under a running tap. The water from the bowl can be re-used to water a plant or to bucket flush the toilet.
  6. It is better to water your garden early in the morning or later at night, when the air is cooler and no to little evaporation takes place.
  7. Use the nutrient rich water from your fish tank after cleaning, to water your plants.
  8. Save water while brushing your teeth by  not letting the tap run, you could save 95 litres of water per month.
  9. Make sure you know where your main water faucet is located. This will come in handy when a water emergency strikes.
  10. Install a rain sensor on your irrigation system, ensuring that the sprinklers won’t go off when raining.
  11. Set yourself a timer when watering the garden with a hosepipe. A running hose can produce up to 38 litres per minute.
  12. Wash your pets outdoors. This way you can water the lawn at the same time and save water. Also when giving your pets new drinking water, don’t throw the old water down the drain, water houseplants with the old water.
  13. If you have ice left from a take away cooldrink, don’t throw the ice in the bin, dump it on a plant.
  14. When running a bath, first insert the plug, rather than letting the water run while waiting for it to warm up. You can adjust temperature as the bath tub fills.



Back to Top